Thursday, February 14, 2013

Inside Real Estate: The Fair Housing Act In Action


Let's talk about what the Fair Housing Act basically means. Ignore the exceptions for now. Let's say I'm a Colorado real estate broker and someone comes in to buy or sell a house.

Let's take two imaginary people. We'll call them Jang and Vanar, using names from a "neutral baby name" site. We will say that they are two people, but beyond that I don't know anything about them: their genders, ages, nationalities, functionalities, or beliefs. One or both of them could need my services.

If one or both want to sell a house and I create a legal contract with them to list and sell the house, I would want to see the house and get the best value possible, which means showing the house to anyone who qualifies financially and is interested in that type of housing.

If one or both want to buy a house, and if I have a policy of asking people to prequalify financially, I would ask the prospective buyer to do that first. If I am truly acting without discrimination, I treat everyone equally. I find out what kind of housing is wanted and I try to show places that will work.

Basically, if we ignore the exceptions (housing for only those over 55 years of age, religious or private clubs, someone convicted of involvement with illegal drugs), it is not okay to treat someone differently when selling, buying, renting, leasing, etc., because of their family status, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, or physical or mental disability. The only way to differentiate people is on their "ability to pay" or for economic reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment